There are nearly one billion websites in the world right now. With that many sites fighting for attention, it’s no wonder many businesses are failing to capture the eyes of their target audiences. Fortunately, there is one marketing tactic you can do to boost traffic to your website: start a blog.
When we recommend a blog to business owners, we often hear the question: “how can a blog boost my website page views and get potential customers and clients to my site?” The answer lies in three simple words: Search Engine Optimization.
Search Engine Optimization – or SEO for short – is the process of organizing content on a site to help increase its search rankings on search engines like Google and Bing, in order to increase visitors to a website.
Complicated Algorithms Simplified
All the major search engines use sophisticated algorithms to determine which websites pop up when users enter a search query. To best judge which websites have priority, these search engines index websites regularly and track all the content, both textual and graphical, and keep the information stored and ready to present when someone searches using specific keywords.
This is why many companies and marketers, including Web International, have developed best practices for keyword use in websites. But just using strong keywords on static webpages isn’t enough to push a company’s website to the top of search results. While the tactic was helpful on its own a decade ago, it no longer stands as the only go-to action. Instead, companies need to be adding regular content to their site to improve their standing with search engines.
One of the best ways to add new content to a site is through starting and maintaining a blog. A blog allows the company to consistently introduce new, relevant information onto its site. Doing so shows search engines like Google that the business continues to offer pertinent information to those searching online for answers, service, and support. It also gives companies an opportunity to respond to industry trends, along with potential customer concerns and questions. It’s also a great tool for humanizing a business, as it allows companies to promote their experiences, knowledge, and staff to current and potential customers.
Strategy is Crucial to Success
As with any marketing tool, a blog shouldn’t be started or maintained without a strong strategy and plan in place. Doing a blog without a proper strategy is a lot like throwing spaghetti at the wall, hoping something will stick. In fact, without a strategy, companies may find their blog misses major opportunities and ends up creating more work that it’s worth.
That said, companies shouldn’t avoid a blog due to lack of time, experience, or writing know-how. As companies prepare their marketing activities and budget, they should include a blog in their strategy, and should consider going outside their company for professional help with their blog.
As far as what companies should blog about, and how often, that depends on the business and its target audiences. Some businesses may only need one blog post per month, while others can churn out three or four per week. Whatever the number, we usually recommend companies follow the 80/20 rule when preparing content for the blog. 80 percent of the content should focus on relevant, helpful information that isn’t overly promotional. This may be helpful how-tos, commentary on industry trends, or answers to common questions. The remaining 20 percent can be promotional, and may include promoting upcoming events or activities, staff activities, or company awards and milestones.
As companies move forward with a blog that follows a well-defined and outlined plan, it won’t be long before they discover the value their blog has for their business and website.
Help is Available
We understand that not every business has the manpower to start or maintain a blog for their website. Fortunately, our team includes professional writers who are well versed in writing blog posts for companies in many industries. If you have any questions about starting a blog, or would like information about working with our team, call 501-372-0393. We’ll be happy to help.